U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Oct 26, 2020
(a) Each cable installation must meet -
(1) Sections 25, except 25.11, of IEEE 45-2002 (incorporated by reference; see 46 CFR 110.10-1); or
(2) Cables manufactured to IEC 60092-353 must be installed in accordance with IEC 60092-352 (both incorporated by reference; see 46 CFR 110.10-1), including clause 8.
(b) Each cable installation made in accordance with clause 8 of IEC 60092-352 must utilize the conductor ampacity values of Table I of IEC 60092-352.
(c) No cable may be located in any tank unless -
(1) The purpose of the cable is to supply equipment or instruments especially designed for and compatible with service in the tank and whose function requires the installation of the cable in the tank;
(2) The cable is either compatible with the liquid or gas in the tank or protected by an enclosure; and
(3) Neither braided cable armor nor cable metallic sheath is used as the grounding conductor.
(d) Braided cable armor or cable metallic sheath must not be used as the grounding conductor.