U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Dec 15, 2019
Terms used in this part are defined as follows:
(a) Foreign public entity means:
(1) A foreign government or foreign governmental entity;
(2) A public international organization, which is an organization entitled to enjoy privileges, exemptions, and immunities as an international organization under the International Organizations Immunities Act (22 U.S.C. 288-288f);
(3) An entity owned (in whole or in part) or controlled by a foreign government; and
(4) Any other entity consisting wholly or partially of one or more foreign governments or foreign governmental entities.
(b) Indian tribe means any Indian tribe, band, nation, or other organized group or community, including any Alaskan Native village or regional or village corporation (as defined in, or established under, the Alaskan Native Claims Settlement Act (43 U.S.C. 1601, et seq.)) that is recognized by the United States as eligible for the special programs and services provided by the United States to Indians because of their status as Indians.
(c) Local government means a:
(8) Local public authority, including any public housing agency under the United States Housing Act of 1937;
(9) Special district;
(10) School district;
(11) Intrastate district;
(12) Council of governments, whether or not incorporated as a nonprofit corporation under State law; and
(13) Any other instrumentality of a local government.
(d) Private entity. (1) This term means any entity other than a State, local government, Indian tribe, or foreign public entity.
(2) This term includes:
(i) A nonprofit organization, including any nonprofit institution of higher education, hospital, or tribal organization other than one included in the definition of Indian tribe in paragraph (b) of this section.
(ii) A for-profit organization.
(e) State, consistent with the definition in section 103 of the TVPA, as amended (22 U.S.C. 7102), means:
(1) Any State of the United States;
(2) The District of Columbia;
(3) Any agency or instrumentality of a State other than a local government or State-controlled institution of higher education;
(4) The Commonwealths of Puerto Rico and the Northern Mariana Islands; and
(5) The United States Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and a territory or possession of the United States.