View all text of Subjgrp 150 [§ 10.0 - § 10.47]

§ 10.24 - Payment of death claim on lost, destroyed or mutilated adjusted service certificate with bond.

If the veteran named in an adjusted service certificate, issued pursuant to the provisions of section 501 of the World War Adjusted Compensation Act, is deceased, and if, after receipt by the veteran, the adjusted service certificate was lost, destroyed, or so defaced as to impair its value and cannot be identified to the satisfaction of the Secretary of Veterans Affairs, the person entitled to payment thereon will be required to furnish an indemnity bond in the manner and form prescribed by the Department of Veterans Affairs and for an amount equal to the face value of the certificate, with surety or sureties residents of the United States and satisfactory to the Secretary of Veterans Affairs with condition to indemnify and save harmless the United States from any claim on account of such certificate, before payment will be made of the proceeds of the certificate and a duplicate adjusted service certificate will not be issued.