U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: May 28, 2020
Definitions generally applicable to the Thrift Savings Plan are set forth at 5 CFR 1690.1.
The Board will provide to each participant four (4) times each calendar year the information described in §§ 1640.3, 1640.4, and 1640.5. Plan participants can obtain account balance information on a more frequent basis from the TSP Web site and the ThriftLine.
In the quarterly statements, the Board will furnish each participant with the following information concerning the participant's individual account:
(a) Name, account number, and date of birth under which the account is established;
(b) Retirement system coverage and employment status of the participant, as provided by the employing agency;
(c) Statement whether the participant has a beneficiary designation on file with the TSP record keeper;
(d) Contribution allocation that is current at the end of the statement period;
(e) Beginning and ending dates of the period covered by the statement;
(f) The following information for and, as of the close of business on the ending date of, the period covered by the statement:
(1) The total account balance and tax-exempt balance, if applicable;
(2) The account balance and activity for each source of contributions;
(3) The account balance and activity in each TSP Fund, including the dollar amount of the transaction, the share price, and the number of shares; and
(4) Loan information and activity, if applicable;
(g) Any other information concerning the account that the Board determines should be included in the statement.
(a) Where relevant, the following transactions will be reported in each individual account statement:
(4) Loan disbursements and repayments;
(5) Transfers among TSP Funds;
(6) Adjustments to prior transactions;
(7) Transfers or rollovers from traditional individual retirement accounts (IRAs) and eligible employer plans; and
(8) Any other transaction that the Executive Director determines will affect the status of the individual account.
(b) Where relevant, the statement will contain the following information concerning each transaction identified in paragraph (a) of this section:
(1) Type of transaction;
(2) TSP Funds affected;
(3) Date the transaction was posted and, where relevant, any earlier dates on which the transaction should have been posted or from which the calculation of the amount of the transaction was derived;
(4) Source of the contributions affected by the transaction;
(5) Amount of the transaction (in dollars and in shares);
(6) The share price(s) at which the transaction was posted; and
(7) Any other information the Executive Director deems relevant.
The Board will provide to each participant four (4) times each calendar year a statement concerning each of the TSP Funds. This statement will contain the following information concerning each investment fund:
(a) A summary description of the type of investments made by the fund, written in a manner that will allow the participant to make an informed decision; and
(b) The performance history of the type of investments made by the fund, covering the five-year period preceding the date of the evaluation.
The TSP will furnish the information described in this part to participants by making it available on the TSP Web site. A participant can request paper copies of that information from the TSP by calling the ThriftLine, submitting a request through the TSP Web site, or by writing to the TSP record keeper.