View all text of Subjgrp 186 [§ 17.92 - § 17.98]

§ 17.96 - Medication prescribed by non-VA physicians.

Any prescription, which is not part of authorized Department of Veterans Affairs hospital or outpatient care, for drugs and medicines ordered by a private or non-Department of Veterans Affairs doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy duly licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the prescription is written, shall be filled by a Department of Veterans Affairs pharmacy or a non-VA pharmacy under contract with VA, including non-VA pharmacy in a state home under contract with VA for filling prescriptions for patients in state homes, provided:

(a) The prescription is for:

(1) A veteran who by reason of being permanently housebound or in need of regular aid and attendance is in receipt of increased compensation under 38 U.S.C. chapter 11, or increased pension under § 3.1(u) (Section 306 Pension) or § 3.1(w) (Improved Pension), of this chapter, as a veteran of a period of war as defined by 38 U.S.C. 101(11) (or, although eligible for such pension, is in receipt of compensation as the greater benefit), or

(2) A veteran in need of regular aid and attendance who was formerly in receipt of increased pension as described in paragraph (a)(1) of this section whose pension has been discontinued solely by reason of excess income, but only so long as such veteran's annual income does not exceed the maximum annual income limitation by more than $ 1,000, and

(b) The drugs and medicines are prescribed as specific therapy in the treatment of any of the veteran's illnesses or injuries.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1706, 1710, 1712(d)) [68 FR 43929, July 25, 2003, as amended at 74 FR 44291, Aug. 28, 2009; 78 FR 42456, July 16, 2013; 79 FR 54615, Sept. 12, 2014; 81 FR 46602, July 18, 2016]