§ 17.3125 - Approving HISA benefits applications.
(a) Approval of application. VA will approve the HISA benefits application if:
(1) The application is consistent with §§ 17.3100 through 17.3130, and
(2) VA determines that the proposed improvement or structural alteration is reasonably designed to address the needs of the beneficiary and is appropriate for the beneficiary's home, based on documentation provided and/or through a pre-award inspection of the home.
(b) Notification of approval. No later than 30 days after a beneficiary submits a complete application, VA will notify the beneficiary whether an application is approved. The notification will:
(1) State the total benefit amount authorized for the improvement or structural alteration.
(2) State the amount of any advance payment, if requested by the beneficiary, and state that the advance payment must be used for the improvements or structural alterations detailed in the application. The notification will also remind beneficiaries receiving advance payment of the obligation to submit the request for final payment upon completion of the construction.
(3) Provide the beneficiary with the notice of the right to appeal if they do not agree with VA's decision regarding the award.