§ 3.1706 - Burial allowance for a veteran who died while hospitalized by VA.
(a) General rule. VA will pay up to the maximum burial allowance specified in 38 U.S.C. 2303(a) for the burial and funeral expenses of a veteran described in paragraph (b) of this section.
(b) Eligibility. A burial allowance is payable under this section for a veteran whose death was not service-connected and who died while hospitalized by VA. For purposes of this allowance, a veteran was hospitalized by VA if the veteran:
(1) Was properly admitted to a VA facility (as described in 38 U.S.C. 1701(3)) for hospital, nursing home, or domiciliary care under the authority of 38 U.S.C. 1710 or 1711(a);
(2) Was transferred or admitted to a non-VA facility (as described in 38 U.S.C. 1701(4)) for hospital care under the authority of 38 U.S.C. 1703;
(3) Was transferred or admitted to a nursing home for nursing home care at the expense of the U.S. under the authority of 38 U.S.C. 1720;
(4) Was transferred or admitted to a State nursing home for nursing home care for which payment is authorized under the authority of 38 U.S.C. 1741;
(5) Was traveling under proper prior authorization, and at VA expense, to or from a specified place for purpose of examination, treatment, or care; or
(6) Was hospitalized by VA pursuant to any of paragraphs (b)(1) through (4) of this section but was not at the facility at the time of death and was:
(i) On authorized absence that did not exceed 96 hours at the time of death;
(ii) On unauthorized absence for a period not in excess of 24 hours at the time of death; or
(iii) Absent from the facility for a period not in excess of 24 hours of combined authorized and unauthorized absence at the time of death.
(c) Hospitalization in the Philippines. Hospitalization in the Philippines under 38 U.S.C. 1731, 1732, and 1733 does not meet the requirements of this section.
(d) Additional allowances available based on death while hospitalized by VA. In addition to the burial allowance authorized by this section:
(1) VA will reimburse for the expense of transporting the remains of a person described in paragraph (b) of this section to the place of burial subject to the limitations of § 3.1709 and where the death occurs within a State and:
(i) The place of burial is in the same State or any other State; or
(ii) The place of burial is in Canada or Mexico. However, reimbursement for transportation of the remains for such burial is authorized only from the place of death within a State to the port of embarkation within a State, or to the border limits of the United States.
(2) VA may pay the plot or interment allowance for burial in a veterans cemetery under § 3.1707, Plot or interment allowance.