U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Apr 05, 2020
(a) The Postal Service may request an exemption from the $10 Million Adjusted Limitation by filing a written request with the Commission. In no instance shall the request for exemption exceed the market test dollar amount limitation of $50,000,000 in any fiscal year, as adjusted for the change in the CPI-U index, as specified in paragraph (c) of this section ($50 Million Adjusted Limitation).
(b) For each fiscal year, the $50 Million Adjusted Limitation shall reflect the average CPI result during the previous fiscal year calculated as described in paragraph (c) of this section. The Commission shall publish this figure annually, after the close of the fiscal year, on its Web site at http://www.prc.gov.
(c) The calculation of the $50 Million Adjusted Limitation involves the following steps. First, a simple average CPI-U index was calculated for fiscal year 2008 by summing the monthly CPI-U values from October 2007 through September 2008 and dividing the sum by 12 (Base Average). The resulting Base Average is 214.463. Then, a second simple average CPI-U index is similarly calculated for each subsequent fiscal year by summing the 12 monthly CPI-U values for the previous fiscal year and dividing the sum by 12 (Recent Average). Finally, the annual limitation for the current fiscal year is calculated by multiplying $50,000,000 by the Recent Average divided by 214.463. The result is expressed as a number, rounded to the nearest dollar.
(d) The formula for calculating the $50 Million Adjusted Limitation is as follows: $50 Million Adjusted Limitation = $50,000,000 * (Recent Average/214.463).
(e) The Postal Service shall file its request for exemption at least 45 days before it expects to exceed the $10 Million Adjusted Limitation.
(f) The request for exemption shall:
(1) Explain how the experimental product will:
(i) Benefit the public and meet an expected demand;
(ii) Contribute to the financial stability of the Postal Service; and
(iii) Not result in unfair or otherwise inappropriate competition;
(2) Calculate the total revenue received by the Postal Service from the market test for each fiscal year the market test has been in operation, and provide supporting documentation;
(3) Estimate the additional revenue that is anticipated by the Postal Service for each fiscal year remaining on the market test, including any extension period granted by the Commission in accordance with § 3035.11(c), and provide available supporting documentation; and
(4) Quantify the product specific costs associated with the development of the market test; that is, costs incurred before the market test is implemented.
(g) The Commission shall review the request for exemption for consistency with the statutory requirements of 39 U.S.C. 3641 and:
(1) Find that the exemption is consistent with the requirements of 39 U.S.C. 3641;
(2) Find that the exemption is inconsistent with the requirements of 39 U.S.C. 3641 and provide an opportunity to correct the identified deficiencies;
(3) Find that the exemption is inconsistent with the requirements of 39 U.S.C. 3641 and deny the exemption; or
(4) Direct other action as the Commission may consider appropriate.