U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Aug 14, 2020
(a) Basic rule. BLM first determines the population strata the communication facility serves according to § 2806.32 of this subpart and then calculates the rent assessed to facility owners and facility managers for a grant or lease for a communication facility that authorizes subleasing with tenants, customers, or both, as follows:
(1) Using the communication use rent schedule. BLM will determine the rent of the highest value use in the facility or facilities as the base rent, and add to it 25 percent of the rent from the rent schedule (see § 2806.30 of this subpart) for each tenant use in the facility or facilities;
(2) If the highest value use is not the use of the facility owner or facility manager, BLM will consider the owner's or manager's use like any tenant or customer use in calculating the rent (see § 2806.35(b) for facility owners and § 2806.39(a) for facility managers);
(3) If a tenant use is the highest value use, BLM will exclude the rent for that tenant's use when calculating the additional 25 percent amount under paragraph (a)(1) of this section for tenant uses;
(4) If a holder has multiple uses authorized under the same grant or lease, such as a TV and a FM radio station, BLM will calculate the rent as in paragraph (a)(1) of this section. In this case, the TV rent would be the highest value use and BLM would charge the FM portion according to the rent schedule as if it were a tenant use.
(b) Special applications. The following provisions apply when calculating rents for communication uses exempted from rent under § 2806.14 of this subpart or communication uses whose rent has been waived or reduced to zero under § 2806.15 of this subpart:
(1) BLM will exclude exempted uses or uses whose rent has been waived or reduced to zero (see §§ 2806.14 and 2806.15 of this subpart) of either a facility owner or a facility manager in calculating rents. BLM will exclude similar uses (see §§ 2806.14 and 2806.15 of this subpart) of a customer or tenant if they choose to hold their own grant or lease (see § 2806.36 of this subpart) or are occupants in a Federal facility (see § 2806.42(a) of this subpart);
(2) BLM will charge rent to a facility owner whose own use is either exempted from rent or whose rent has been waived or reduced to zero (see §§ 2806.14 and 2806.15 of this subpart), but who has tenants in the facility, in an amount equal to the rent of the highest value tenant use plus 25 percent of the rent from the rent schedule for each of the remaining tenant uses subject to rent;
(3) BLM will not charge rent to a facility owner, facility manager, or tenant (when holding a grant or lease) when all of the following occur:
(ii) Rent from all other uses in the facility is exempted, waived, or reduced to zero, or BLM considers such uses as customer uses; and
(iii) The holder is not operating the facility for commercial purposes (see § 2801.5(b) of this part) with respect to such other uses in the facility; and
(4) If a holder, whose own use is exempted from rent or whose rent has been waived or reduced to zero, is conducting a commercial activity with customers or tenants whose uses are also exempted from rent or whose rent has been waived or reduced to zero (see §§ 2806.14 and 2806.15 of this subpart), BLM will charge rent, notwithstanding section 2806.31(b), based on the highest value use within the facility. This paragraph (b)(4) does not apply to facilities exempt from rent under § 2806.14(a)(4) except when the facility also includes ineligible facilities.