U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Jul 13, 2020
(a) Any party may serve on any other party a request to -
(1) Produce and permit the party making the request, or a person acting on his behalf, to inspect and copy any designated documents, or to inspect and copy, test, or sample any tangible things within the scope of § 4.1132 and which are in the possession, custody, or control of the party upon whom the request is served; or
(2) Permit entry upon designated land or other property in the possession or control of the party upon whom the request is served for the purpose of inspection and measuring, surveying, photographing, testing, or sampling the property (including the air, water, and soil) or any designated object or operation thereon, within the scope of § 4.1132.
(b) The request may be served on any party without leave of the administrative law judge.
(c) The request shall -
(1) Set forth the items to be inspected either by individual item or by category;
(2) Describe each item or category with reasonable particularity; and
(3) Specify a reasonable time, place, and manner of making the inspection and performing the related acts.
(d) The party upon whom the request is served shall serve on the party submitting the request a written response within 30 days after service of the request.
(e) The response shall state, with respect to each item or category -
(1) That inspection and related activities will be permitted as requested; or
(2) That objection is made in whole or in part, in which case the reasons for objection shall be stated.