View all text of Part A [§ 1070 - § 1070h]
§ 1070. Statement of purpose; program authorization
It is the purpose of this part, to assist in making available the benefits of postsecondary education to eligible students (defined in accordance with section 1091 of this title) in institutions of higher education by—
(1) providing Federal Pell Grants to all eligible students;
(2) providing supplemental educational opportunity grants to those students who demonstrate financial need;
(3) providing for payments to the States to assist them in making financial aid available to such students;
(4) providing for special programs and projects designed (A) to identify and encourage qualified youths with financial or cultural need with a potential for postsecondary education, (B) to prepare students from low-income families for postsecondary education, and (C) to provide remedial (including remedial language study) and other services to students; and
(5) providing assistance to institutions of higher education.
(b) Secretary required to carry out purposes
The Secretary shall, in accordance with subparts 1 through 9 of this part, carry out programs to achieve the purposes of this part.
(Pub. L. 89–329, title IV, § 400, formerly § 401, as added Pub. L. 99–498, title IV, § 401(a), Oct. 17, 1986, 100 Stat. 1308; renumbered § 400, Pub. L. 102–325, title IV, § 402(a)(3), July 23, 1992, 106 Stat. 482; amended Pub. L. 105–244, title IV, § 401(g)(1), Oct. 7, 1998, 112 Stat. 1652; Pub. L. 111–39, title IV, § 401(a)(1), July 1, 2009, 123 Stat. 1938.)