Short title; applicability; definitions
This chapter may be cited as the “General Education Provisions Act”.
Applicability of chapter
(1) Except as otherwise provided, this chapter applies to each applicable program of the Department of Education.
(2) Except as otherwise provided, this chapter does not apply to any contract made by the Department of Education.
As used in this chapter, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) The term “applicable program” means any program for which the Secretary or the Department has administrative responsibility as provided by law or by delegation of authority pursuant to law. The term includes each program for which the Secretary or the Department has administrative responsibility under the Department of Education Organization Act [20 U.S.C. 3401 et seq.] or under Federal law effective after the effective date of that Act. (2)
The term “applicable statute” means—
(A) the Act or the title, part, section, or any other subdivision of an Act, as the case may be, that authorizes the appropriation for an applicable program;
(B) this chapter; and
(C) any other statute that by its terms expressly controls the administration of an applicable program.
(3) The term “Department” means the Department of Education.
(4) The term “Secretary” means the Secretary of Education.
Application of other laws unaffected
Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to affect the applicability of title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 [42 U.S.C. 2000d et seq.], title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 [20 U.S.C. 1681 et seq.], title V of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 [29 U.S.C. 790 et seq.], the Age Discrimination Act [42 U.S.C. 6101 et seq.], or other statutes prohibiting discrimination, to any applicable program.
(Pub. L. 90–247, title IV, § 400, formerly § 401, Jan. 2, 1968, 81 Stat. 814; Pub. L. 90–576, title III, § 301(a), Oct. 16, 1968, 82 Stat. 1094;