- § 410hhhh. Establishment of Jimmy Carter National Historic Site
- § 410hhhh-1. Jimmy Carter National Preservation District
- § 410hhhh-2. Administration of historic site
- § 410hhhh-3. Advisory commission
- § 410hhhh-4. Management plan
- § 410hhhh-5. Definitions
- § 410hhhh-6. Authorization of appropriations
In order to preserve and interpret the life of James Earl Carter, Jr. and the rural southern town of Plains, Georgia, including the 20th century south and the roles of agriculture and the agricultural economy there is hereby established the Jimmy Carter National Preservation District, which shall consist of the area identified on the map referred to in section 410hhhh(b)(1) of this title as “Preservation District”. The preservation district shall include the Plains Historic District as listed in the National Register of Historic Places on June 28, 1984, and those agricultural lands not to exceed 650 acres and that portion of Bond Street as depicted on such map.
The Secretary shall administer the historical park and the preservation district in accordance with the provisions of this subchapter, and the provisions of law generally applicable to units of the National Park System, including the Act entitled “An Act to establish a National Park Service, and for other purposes”, approved August 25, 1916 (16 U.S.C. 1, 2–4),2
The Secretary may enter into a cooperative agreement with the State of Georgia pursuant to which the Secretary may cooperate in the operation and use of the State of Georgia Visitor Center in Sumter County.
The Secretary shall gather oral history on the historical park, its occupants, and environs. The Secretary may also preserve personal property that has been acquired by the Secretary for purposes of the historical park.
25 years after December 23, 1987, the Secretary shall convene a distinguished group of nationally recognized historians, scholars, and other experts to examine the life of President Carter in greater historical perspective. The group shall examine the research then available on President Carter, his life and Presidency, and make recommendations on interpretation, preservation, and other issues (as appropriate) at the Jimmy Carter National Historical Park and the Jimmy Carter National Preservation District.
The Secretary shall establish an advisory commission to provide advice on achieving balanced and accurate interpretation of the historical park.
The Secretary is authorized to pay, in accordance with section 5703 of title 5, the expenses reasonably incurred by the members of the Commission in carrying out their responsibilities under this subchapter.
There is authorized to be appropriated such sums as may be necessary to carry out this subchapter, except that not more than $3,500,000 is authorized to be appropriated for acquisition of real and personal property (including preservation easements) and development of the preservation district and the historical park.
Not more than 60 percent of the aggregate cost of restoring the Plains High School (referred to in section 410hhhh (b)(2)(E) of this title) may be provided from appropriated Federal funds. The remaining 40 percent, non-Federal share of such cost may be in the form of cash, goods, or services, fairly valued.