§ 404.527 - Additional methods for recovery of title II benefit overpayments.
(a) General. In addition to the methods specified in §§ 404.502 and 404.520, an overpayment under title II of the Act is also subject to recovery under the rules in subparts D and E of part 422 of this chapter. Subpart D of part 422 of this chapter applies only under the following conditions:
(1) The overpayment occurred after the individual has attained age 18;
(2) The overpaid individual is no longer entitled to benefits under title II of the Act; and
(3) Pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section, we have determined that the overpayment is otherwise unrecoverable under section 204 of the Act.
(b) When an overpayment is considered to be otherwise unrecoverable. An overpayment under title II of the Act is considered to be otherwise unrecoverable under section 204 of the Act if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) Our billing system sequence has been completed (i.e., we have sent the individual an initial notice of the overpayment, a reminder notice, and a past-due notice) or collection activity has been suspended or terminated in accordance with the Federal Claims Collection Standards in 31 CFR 903.2 or 903.3.
(2) We have not entered into an installment payment arrangement with the overpaid individual or, if we have entered into such an arrangement, the overpaid individual has failed to make any payment for two consecutive months.
(3) The overpaid individual has not requested waiver pursuant to § 404.506 or § 404.522 or, after a review conducted pursuant to those sections, we have determined that we will not waive collection of the overpayment.
(4) The overpaid individual has not requested reconsideration of the initial overpayment determination pursuant to §§ 404.907 and 404.909 or, after a review conducted pursuant to § 404.913, we have affirmed, in whole or in part, the initial overpayment determination.
(5) The overpayment cannot be recovered pursuant to § 404.502 by adjustment of benefits payable to any individual other than the overpaid individual. For purposes of this paragraph, an overpayment will be deemed to be unrecoverable from any individual who was living in a separate household from the overpaid person at the time of the overpayment and did not receive the overpayment.