§ 422.7 - Notification of ARIO during an inquiry or investigation.
(a) Research institutions that conduct USDA-funded extramural research must promptly notify the ARIO should the institution become aware during an inquiry or investigation that:
(1) Public health or safety is at risk;
(2) The resources, reputation, or other interests of USDA are in need of protection;
(3) Research activities should be suspended;
(4) Federal action may be needed to protect the interest of a subject of the investigation or of others potentially affected;
(5) A premature public disclosure of the inquiry into or investigation of the allegation may compromise the process;
(6) The scientific community or the public should be informed; or
(7) There is reasonable indication of possible violations of civil or criminal law.
(b) If research misconduct proceedings reveal behavior that may be criminal in nature at any point during the proceedings, the institution must promptly notify the ARIO.