U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Jul 13, 2020
(a) Statutory basis. This subpart is based on the following provisions of the Act:
(1) Section 1869(a) through (e) and (g) of the Act.
(2) Section 1862(b)(2)(B)(viii) of the Act.
(b) Scope. This subpart establishes the requirements for appeals of initial determinations for benefits under Part A or Part B of Medicare, including the following:
(1) The initial determination of whether an individual is entitled to benefits under Part A or Part B. (Regulations governing reconsiderations of these initial determinations are at 20 CFR, part 404, subpart J).
(2) The initial determination of the amount of benefits available to an individual under Part A or Part B.
(3) Any other initial determination relating to a claim for benefits under Part A or Part B, including an initial determination made by a quality improvement organization under section 1154(a)(2) of the Act or by an entity under contract with the Secretary (other than a contract under section 1852 of the Act) to administer provisions of titles XVIII or XI of the Act.