§ 2a.6 - Issuance of Confidentiality Certificates; single project limitation.
(a) In reviewing the information provided in the application for a Confidentiality Certificate, the Secretary will take into account:
(1) The scientific or other appropriate training and experience of all personnel having major responsibilities in the research project;
(2) Whether the project constitutes bona fide “research” which is within the scope of the regulations of this part; and
(3) Such other factors as he or she may consider necessary and appropriate. All applications for Confidentiality Certificates shall be evaluated by the Secretary through such officers and employees of the Department and such experts or consultants engaged for this purpose as he or she determines to be appropriate.
(b) After consideration and evaluation of an application for an authorization of confidentiality, the Secretary will either issue a Confidentiality Certificate or a letter denying a Confidentiality Certificate, which will set forth the reasons for such denial, or will request additional information from the person making application. The Confidentiality Certificate will include:
(1) The name and address of the person making application;
(2) The name and address of the individual primarily responsible for conducting the research, if such individual is not the person making application;
(3) The location of the research project;
(4) A brief description of the research project;
(5) A statement that the Certificate does not represent an endorsement of the research project by the Secretary;
(6) The Drug Enforcement Administration registration number for the project, if any; and
(7) The date or event upon which the Confidentiality Certificate becomes effective, which shall not be before the later of either the commencement of the research project or the date of issuance of the Certificate, and the date or event upon which the Certificate will expire.
(c) A Confidentiality Certificate is not transferable and is effective only with respect to the names and other identifying characteristics of those individuals who are the subjects of the single research project specified in the Confidentiality Certificate. The recipient of a Confidentiality Certificate shall, within 15 days of any completion or discontinuance of the research project which occurs prior to the expiration date set forth in the Certificate, provide written notification to the Director of the Institute to which application was made. If the recipient determines that the research project will not be completed by the expiration date set forth in the Confidentiality Certificate he or she may submit a written request for an extension of the expiration date which shall include a justification for such extension and a revised estimate of the date for completion of the project. Upon approval of such a request, the Secretary will issue an amended Confidentiality Certificate.
(d) The protection afforded by a Confidentiality Certificate does not extend to significant changes in the research project as it is described in the application for such Certificate (e.g., changes in the personnel having major responsibilities in the research project, major changes in the scope or direction of the research protocol, or changes in the drugs to be administered and the persons who will administer them). The recipient of a Confidentiality Certificate shall notify the Director of the Institute to which application was made of any proposal for such a significant change by submitting an amended application for a Confidentiality Certificate in the same form and manner as an original application. On the basis of such application and other pertinent information the Secretary will either:
(1) Approve the amended application and issue an amended Confidentiality Certificate together with a Notice of Cancellation terminating original the Confidentiality Certificate in accordance with § 2a.8; or
(2) Disapprove the amended application and notify the applicant in writing that adoption of the proposed significant changes will result in the issuance of a Notice of Cancellation terminating the original Confidentiality Certificate in accordance with § 2a.8.