§ 68b.5 - How will applicants be selected to participate in the Scholarship Program?
(a) General. In deciding which applications for participation in the Scholarship Program will be approved, the Director will place the applications into categories based upon the selection priorities described in paragraph (b) of this section. Except for renewal awards (see paragraph (e) of this section), the Director will then evaluate each applicant under paragraph (c) of this section.
(b) Priorities. (1) First priority will be given to applicants who have completed at least 2 years of undergraduate course work, including four core science courses, and are classified by their educational institutions as juniors or seniors as of the beginning of the academic year of scholarship. (Core science courses include, but are not limited to, biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus.)
(2) Second priority will be given to applicants who have completed four core science courses, as defined above.
(3) Third priority will be given to applicants who are matriculated freshmen or sophomores.
(c) Selection. In selecting participants and determining continuation of program support, the Director will take into consideration those factors determined necessary to ensure effective participation in the Scholarship Program. These factors may include, but are not limited to:
(1) Biomedical research experience and performance,
(2) Academic performance,
(3) Career goals, and
(d) Duration of Scholarship award. Subject to the availability of funds appropriated for the Scholarship Program, the Director may, at his/her discretion, award scholarships under this part for a period of one, two, or three academic years.
(e) Continuation of scholarship support. Subject to the availability of funds for the Scholarship Program, the Director may continue scholarship support if:
(1) The participant requests a continuation of scholarship support;
(2) The scholarship will not extend the total period of Scholarship Program support beyond 4 years; and
(3) The participant is eligible for continued participation in the Scholarship Program, as determined by the Scholarship Program Review Committee.