§ 83.5 - Definitions of terms used in the procedures in this part.
(a) Advisory Board on Radiation and Worker Health (“the Board”) is a federal advisory committee established under EEOICPA and appointed by the President to advise HHS in implementing its responsibilities under EEOICPA.
(b) Atomic Weapons Employer (“AWE”) is a statutory term of EEOICPA which means any entity, other than the United States, that:
(1) Processed or produced, for use by the United States, material that emitted radiation and was used in the production of an atomic weapon, excluding uranium mining and milling: and,
(2) Is designated by the Secretary of Energy as an atomic weapons employer for purposes of EEOICPA.
(c) Computation of Time Periods: In this Rule, all prescribed or allowed time periods will be counted as calendar days from the business day of receipt by the submitter(s), the petitioner(s), NIOSH, or HHS. Receipt by NIOSH, the submitter(s) or petitioner(s) will be either the business day of actual receipt or three (3) business days after initial proof of mailing, whichever time period is shorter. Business days are defined as Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. est and “legal holiday” will be used as defined by the FED. R. CIV. P. 6(a).
(d) Class of employees means, for the purposes of this part, a group of employees who work or worked at the same DOE facility or AWE facility, and for whom the availability of information and recorded data on radiation exposures is comparable with respect to the informational needs of dose reconstructions conducted under 42 CFR part 82.
(e) HHS is the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
(f) DOE is the U.S. Department of Energy, which includes predecessor agencies of DOE, including the Manhattan Engineering District.
(g) DOL is the U.S. Department of Labor.
(h) Employee, for the purposes of these procedures, means a person who is or was, for the purposes of EEOICPA, an employee of DOE, a DOE contractor or subcontractor, or an Atomic Weapons Employer.
(i) NIOSH is the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
(j) OCAS is the Office of Compensation Analysis and Support, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
(k) Petitioner means an individual or organization that submits a petition on behalf of a class of employees and qualifies as a petitioner under § 83.7. A single petition shall only include up to three petitioners.
(l) Radiation means ionizing radiation, including alpha particles, beta particles, gamma rays, x rays, neutrons, protons and other particles capable of producing ions in the body. For the purposes of the proposed procedures, radiation does not include sources of non-ionizing radiation such as radio-frequency radiation, microwaves, visible light, and infrared or ultraviolet light radiation.
(m) Secretary is the Secretary of Health and Human Services.
(n) Specified cancer, as is defined in Section 3621(17) of EEOICPA (42 U.S.C. 7384l(17)) and the DOL regulation implementing EEOICPA (20 CFR 30.5(dd)), means:
(1) Leukemia (other than chronic lymphocytic leukemia) provided that onset of the disease was at least two years after initial occupational exposure;
(2) Lung cancer (other than in situ lung cancer that is discovered during or after a post-mortem exam);
(3) Bone cancer;
(4) Renal cancers;
(5) The following diseases, provided onset was at least 5 years after first exposure:
(i) Multiple myeloma;
(ii) Lymphomas (other than Hodgkin's disease);
(iii) Primary cancer of the:
(B) Male or female breast;
(F) Small intestine;
(H) Bile ducts;
(I) Gall bladder;
(J) Salivary gland;
(K) Urinary bladder;
(O) Liver (except if cirrhosis or hepatitis B is indicated).
(6) The specified diseases designated in this section mean the physiological condition or conditions that are recognized by the National Cancer Institute under those names or nomenclature, or under any previously accepted or commonly used names or nomenclature.
(o) Survivor means a surviving spouse, child, parent, grandchild and grandparent of a deceased covered employee as defined in EEOICPA.