§ 92.21 - Deduction from pay.
(a) After other, less severe collection actions have failed, the DOT operating element (see § 92.5(g)) may implement steps to obtain collection by salary offset. The method and the amount of the salary offset shall be the method and amount stated in the creditor agency's demand letter (see § 92.11) or notice (see § 92.7), or, if applicable, in the decision of an administrative law judge or other hearing official after an employee-requested hearing on the matter. If a DOT operating element is the creditor, the procedures stated in § 92.11 shall be followed.
(b) Before a collection by salary offset may be made, the chief of the accounting or finance office of the paying DOT operating element shall be furnished with certified documentation by the creditor agency indicating that the creditor agency has sent the employee a demand letter pursuant to § 92.11 of this part stating as a minimum:
(1) The nature and amount of the indebtedness and the intention of the agency to initiate, at the expiration of thirty days, a proceeding to collect the debt by salary offset; and an explanation of the rights of the employee under this subsection;
(2) That the employee has the opportunity to inspect and copy Government records relating to the debt;
(3) That the employee has an opportunity to enter into a written agreement with the agency to establish a schedule for the repayment of the debt;
(4) That the employee has an opportunity for a hearing on the determination of the agency concerning the existence or the amount of the debt, and in the case of an individual whose repayment schedule is established other than by a written agreement as described in paragraph (b)(3) of this section concerning the terms of the repayment schedule; and
(5) That the creditor agency's regulations implementing 5 U.S.C. 5514 have been approved by OPM (see 5 CFR 550.1108(a)).
(c) Where a hearing has been held, a copy of the decision of the administrative law judge or other hearing official must be furnished to the chief of the accounting or finance office of the paying DOT operating element before collection of the indebtedness by salary offset may be initiated. The method and amount of the offset will be as stated in the decision.