U.S. Code of Federal Regulations
Regulations most recently checked for updates: Feb 28, 2020
(a) Exceptions. When transported in the State of Alaska, cylinders of compressed oxygen or other oxidizing gases aboard aircraft are excepted from all the requirements of §§ 173.302(f)(3) through (5) and 173.304(f)(3) through (5) of this subchapter subject to the following conditions:
(1) Transportation of the cylinders by a ground-based or water-based mode of transportation is unavailable and transportation by aircraft is the only practical means for transporting the cylinders to their destination;
(2) Each cylinder is fully covered with a fire or flame resistant blanket that is secured in place; and
(3) The operator of the aircraft complies with the applicable notification procedures under § 175.33.
(b) Aircraft restrictions. This exception only applies to the following types of aircraft:
(1) Cargo-only aircraft transporting the cylinders to a delivery destination that receives cargo-only service at least once a week.
(2) Passenger and cargo-only aircraft transporting the cylinders to a delivery destination that does not receive cargo only service once a week.