View all text of Part B [§ 5511 - § 5519]
§ 5519. Exclusion for auto dealers
(a) Sale, servicing, and leasing of motor vehicles excluded
Except as permitted in subsection (b), the Bureau may not exercise any rulemaking, supervisory, enforcement or any other authority, including any authority to order assessments, over a motor vehicle dealer that is predominantly engaged in the sale and servicing of motor vehicles, the leasing and servicing of motor vehicles, or both.
(b) Certain functions exceptedSubsection (a) shall not apply to any person, to the extent that such person—
(1) provides consumers with any services related to residential or commercial mortgages or self-financing transactions involving real property;
(2) operates a line of business—
(A) that involves the extension of retail credit or retail leases involving motor vehicles; and
(B) in which—
(i) the extension of retail credit or retail leases are provided directly to consumers; and
(ii) the contract governing such extension of retail credit or retail leases is not routinely assigned to an unaffiliated third party finance or leasing source; or
(3) offers or provides a consumer financial product or service not involving or related to the sale, financing, leasing, rental, repair, refurbishment, maintenance, or other servicing of motor vehicles, motor vehicle parts, or any related or ancillary product or service.
(c) Preservation of authorities of other agencies
Except as provided in subsections (b) and (d), nothing in this title,1
1 See References in Text note below.including subtitle F, shall be construed as modifying, limiting, or superseding the operation of any provision of Federal law, or otherwise affecting the authority of the Board of Governors, the Federal Trade Commission, or any other Federal agency, with respect to a person described in subsection (a).
(d) Federal Trade Commission authority
Notwithstanding section 57a of title 15, the Federal Trade Commission is authorized to prescribe rules under sections 45 and 57a(a)(1)(B) of title 15.2
2 So in original. The period probably should be a comma.in accordance with section 553 of title 5, with respect to a person described in subsection (a).
(e) Coordination with Office of Service Member AffairsThe Board of Governors and the Federal Trade Commission shall coordinate with the Office of Service Member Affairs, to ensure that—
(1) service members and their families are educated and empowered to make better informed decisions regarding consumer financial products and services offered by motor vehicle dealers, with a focus on motor vehicle dealers in the proximity of military installations; and
(2) complaints by service members and their families concerning such motor vehicle dealers are effectively monitored and responded to, and where appropriate, enforcement action is pursued by the authorized agencies.
(f) DefinitionsFor purposes of this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) Motor vehicleThe term “motor vehicle” means—
(A) any self-propelled vehicle designed for transporting persons or property on a street, highway, or other road;
(B) recreational boats and marine equipment;
(D) motor homes, recreational vehicle trailers, and slide-in campers, as those terms are defined in sections 571.3 and 575.103 (d) of title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, or any successor thereto; and
(E) other vehicles that are titled and sold through dealers.
(2) Motor vehicle dealerThe term “motor vehicle dealer” means any person or resident in the United States, or any territory of the United States, who—
(A) is licensed by a State, a territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia to engage in the sale of motor vehicles; and
(B) takes title to, holds an ownership in, or takes physical custody of motor vehicles.
(Pub. L. 111–203, title X, § 1029, July 21, 2010, 124 Stat. 2004.)