- § 1580. Emergency essential employees: designation
- § 1580a. Emergency essential employees: notification of required participation in anthrax vaccine immunization program
- § 1581. Foreign National Employees Separation Pay Account
- § 1582. Assistive technology, assistive technology devices, and assistive technology services
- § 1583. Employment of certain persons without pay
- § 1584. Employment of non-citizens
- § 1585. Carrying of firearms
- § 1585a. Special agents of the Defense Criminal Investigative Service: authority to execute warrants and make arrests
- § 1586. Rotation of career-conditional and career employees assigned to duty outside the United States
- § 1587. Employees of nonappropriated fund instrumentalities: reprisals
- § 1587a. Employees of nonappropriated fund instrumentalities: senior executive pay levels
- § 1588. Authority to accept certain voluntary services
- § 1589. Participation in management of specified non-Federal entities: authorized activities
- [§ 1590. Repealed.
- § 1591. Reimbursement for travel and transportation expenses when accompanying Members of Congress
- § 1592. Prohibition on payment of severance pay to foreign nationals in the event of certain overseas base closures
- § 1593. Uniform allowance: civilian employees
- § 1594. Reimbursement for financial institution charges incurred because of Government error in direct deposit of pay
- § 1595. Civilian faculty members at certain Department of Defense schools: employment and compensation
- § 1596. Foreign language proficiency: special pay for proficiency beneficial for intelligence interests
- § 1596a. Foreign language proficiency: special pay for proficiency beneficial for other national security interests
- § 1596b. Foreign language proficiency: National Foreign Language Skills Registry
- § 1597. Civilian positions: guidelines for reductions
- § 1598. Assistance to terminated employees to obtain certification and employment as teachers or employment as teachers’ aides
- [§ 1599. Renumbered § 1611]
- § 1599a. Financial assistance to certain employees in acquisition of critical skills
- § 1599b. Employees abroad: travel expenses; health care
- § 1599c. Health care professionals: enhanced appointment and compensation authority for personnel for care and treatment of wounded and injured members of the armed forces
- § 1599d. Financial management positions: authority to prescribe professional certification and credential standards
- § 1599e. Probationary period for employees
- § 1599f. United States Cyber Command recruitment and retention
- § 1599g. Public-private talent exchange
- § 1599h. Personnel management authority to attract experts in science and engineering
The Secretary of Defense and the Secretaries of the military departments may each employ, without pay, not more than 10 persons of outstanding experience and ability. However, a person so employed may be allowed transportation, and not more than $15 a day instead of subsistence, while away from his home or regular place of business pursuant to employment under this section.
Laws prohibiting the employment of, or payment of pay or expenses to, a person who is not a citizen of the United States do not apply to personnel of the Department of Defense.
Under regulations to be prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, civilian officers and employees of the Department of Defense may carry firearms or other appropriate weapons while assigned investigative duties or such other duties as the Secretary may prescribe.
Funds available to the Department of Defense (including funds in the Foreign National Employees Separation Pay Account, Defense, established under section 1581 of this title) may not be used to pay severance pay to a foreign national employed by the Department of Defense under a contract, a treaty, or a memorandum of understanding with a foreign nation that provides for payment of separation pay if the termination of the employment of the foreign national is the result of the closing of, or the curtailment of activities at, a United States military facility in that country at the request of the government of that country.