View all text of Chapter 141 [§ 2381 - § 2410s]

§ 2396. Advances for payments for compliance with foreign laws, rent in foreign countries, tuition, public utility services, and pay and supplies of armed forces of friendly foreign countries
(a) An advance under an appropriation to the Department of Defense may be made to pay for—
(1) compliance with laws and ministerial regulations of a foreign country;
(2) rent in a foreign country for periods of time determined by local custom;
(3) tuition; and
(4) public service utilities.
(1) Under regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, or by the Secretary of Homeland Security with respect to the Coast Guard when it is not operating as a service of the Navy, an officer of an armed force of the United States accountable for public money may advance amounts to a disbursing official of a friendly foreign country or members of an armed force of a friendly foreign country for—
(A) pay and allowances to members of the armed force of that country; and
(B) necessary supplies and services.
(2) An advance may be made under this subsection only if the President has made an agreement with the foreign country—
(A) requiring reimbursement to the United States for amounts advanced;
(B) requiring the appropriate authority of the country to advance amounts reciprocally to members of the armed forces of the United States; and
(C) containing any other provision the President considers necessary to carry out this subsection and to safeguard the interests of the United States.
(Added Pub. L. 97–258, § 2(b)(4)(B), Sept. 13, 1982, 96 Stat. 1053, § 2395; renumbered § 2396 and amended Pub. L. 97–295, § 1(28)(B), Oct. 12, 1982, 96 Stat. 1291; Pub. L. 105–85, div. A, title X, § 1014(a), (b)(1), Nov. 18, 1997,