View all text of Chapter 153 [§ 2571 - § 2583]

§ 2571. Interchange of supplies and services
(a) If either of the Secretaries concerned requests it and the other approves, supplies may be transferred, without compensation, from one armed force to another.
(1) If its head approves, a department or organization within the Department of Defense may, upon request, perform work and services for, or furnish supplies to, any other of those departments or organizations, with or without reimbursement or transfer of funds.
(2) Use of the authority under this section for reimbursable support is limited to support for the purpose of providing assistance to a foreign partner pursuant to section 333 and section 345 of this title.
(c) If military or civilian personnel of a department or organization within the Department of Defense are assigned or detailed to another of those departments or organizations, and if the head of the department or organization to which they are transferred approves, their pay and allowances and the cost of transporting their dependents and household goods may be charged to an appropriation that is otherwise available for those purposes to that department or organization.
(d) No agency or official of the executive branch of the Federal Government may establish any regulation, program, or policy or take any other action which precludes, directly or indirectly, the Secretaries concerned from exercising the authority provided in this section.
(1) An order placed by a department or organization on a reimbursable basis pursuant to subsection (b) shall be considered to be an obligation in the same manner as an order placed under section 6307 of title 41.
(2) Amounts received as reimbursement shall be credited in accordance with section 2205 of this title to the appropriation of the supporting department or organization used in incurring the obligation in the year or years that support is provided.
(Aug. 10, 1956, ch. 1041, 70A Stat. 143; Pub. L. 85–861, § 1(49), Sept. 2, 1958, 72 Stat. 1459; Pub. L. 99–167, title VIII, § 821, Dec. 3, 1985, 99 Stat. 991; Pub. L. 109–364, div. B, title XXVIII, § 2825(c)(1), (d)(1)(A), Oct. 17, 2006, 120 Stat. 2477; Pub. L. 117–81, div. A, title XII, § 1202, Dec. 27, 2021, 135 Stat. 1958.)