§ 1471. DefinitionsFor the purpose of this Act—
(1) The term “Commission” means the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
(2) The term “household substance” means any substance which is customarily produced or distributed for sale for consumption or use, or customarily stored, by individuals in or about the household and which is—
(A) a hazardous substance as that term is defined in
[section 1261(f) of this title];
(B) a food, drug, or cosmetic as those terms are defined in
[section 321 of title 21]; or
(C) a substance intended for use as fuel when stored in a portable container and used in the heating, cooking, or refrigeration system of a house.
(3) The term “package” means the immediate container or wrapping in which any household substance is contained for consumption, use, or storage by individuals in or about the household, and, for purposes of [section 1473(a)(2) of this title], also means any outer container or wrapping used in the retail display of any such substance to consumers. Such term does not include—
(A) any shipping container or wrapping used solely for the transportation of any household substance in bulk or in quantity to manufacturers, packers, or processors, or to wholesale or retail distributors thereof, or
(B) any shipping container or outer wrapping used by retailers to ship or deliver any household substance to consumers unless it is the only such container or wrapping.
(4) The term “special packaging” means packaging that is designed or constructed to be significantly difficult for children under five years of age to open or obtain a toxic or harmful amount of the substance contained therein within a reasonable time and not difficult for normal adults to use properly, but does not mean packaging which all such children cannot open or obtain a toxic or harmful amount within a reasonable time.
(5) The term “labeling” means all labels and other written, printed, or graphic matter (A) upon any household substance or its package, or (B) accompanying such substance.
[Pub. L. 91–601, § 2], Dec. 30, 1970, [84 Stat. 1670]; [Pub. L. 92–516, § 3(2)], Oct. 21, 1972, [86 Stat. 998]; [Pub. L. 92–573, § 30(a)], Oct. 27, 1972, [86 Stat. 1231]; [Pub. L. 94–284, § 3(a)], May 11, 1976, [90 Stat. 503].)