View all text of Chapter 17 [§ 901 - § 910]

§ 908.
Employment of reserves and retired members by foreign governments
Congressional Consent.—
Subject to subsection (b), Congress consents to the following persons accepting civil employment (and compensation for that employment) for which the consent of Congress is required by the last paragraph of section 9 of article I of the Constitution, related to acceptance of emoluments, offices, or titles from a foreign government:
(1) Retired members of the uniformed services.
(2) Members of a reserve component of the armed forces.
(3) Members of the Commissioned Reserve Corps 1
1 See Change of Name note below.
of the Public Health Service.
Approval Required.—
A person described in subsection (a) may accept employment or compensation described in that subsection only if the Secretary concerned and the Secretary of State approve the employment.
Annual Reports on Approvals for Retired General and Flag Officers.—
Not later than January 31 each year, the Secretaries of the military departments, after consulting with the Secretary of State, shall jointly submit to the Committees on Armed Services of the Senate and House of Representatives a report on each approval under subsection (b) for employment or compensation described in subsection (a) for a retired member of the armed forces in general or flag officer grade that was issued during the preceding year.
Military Service in Foreign Armed Forces.—
For a provision of law providing the consent of Congress to service in the military forces of certain foreign nations, see section 1060 of title 10.
(Added Pub. L. 97–295, § 3(6)(A), Oct. 12, 1982, 96 Stat. 1304; amended Pub. L. 102–25, title VII, § 702(b)(1), (c), Apr. 6, 1991, 105 Stat. 117; Pub. L. 103–160, div. A, title XIV, § 1433(c), Nov. 30, 1993, 107 Stat. 1834; Pub. L. 103–337, div. A, title X, § 1070(d)(6), Oct. 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 2858; Pub. L. 116–92, div. A, title VI, § 651(a), Dec. 20, 2019, 133 Stat. 1431.)