§ 1009. Adjustments of monthly basic pay
(a)Requirement for Annual Adjustment.—Effective on January 1 of each year, the rates of basic pay for members of the uniformed services under section 203(a) of this title shall be increased under this section.
(b)Effectiveness of Adjustment.—An adjustment under this section shall have the force and effect of law.
(c)Equal Percentage Increase for All Members.—
(1) An adjustment made under this section in a year shall provide all eligible members with an increase in the monthly basic pay that is the percentage (rounded to the nearest one-tenth of one percent) by which the ECI for the base quarter of the year before the preceding year exceeds the ECI for the base quarter of the second year before the preceding calendar year (if at all).
(2) Notwithstanding paragraph (1), but subject to subsection (d), the percentage of the adjustment taking effect under this section during each of fiscal years 2004, 2005, and 2006, shall be one-half of one percentage point higher than the percentage that would otherwise be applicable under such paragraph.
(3) In this subsection:
(A) The term “ECI” means the Employment Cost Index (wages and salaries, private industry workers) published quarterly by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
(B) The term “base quarter” for any year is the three-month period ending on September 30 of such year.
(d)Protection of Member’s Total Compensation While Performing Certain Duty.—
(1) The total daily equivalent amount of the elements of compensation described in paragraph (3), together with other pay and allowances under this title, to be paid to a member of the uniformed services who is temporarily assigned to duty away from the member’s permanent duty station or to duty under field conditions at the member’s permanent duty station shall not be less, for any day during the assignment period, than the total amount, for the day immediately preceding the date of the assignment, of the elements of compensation and other pay and allowances of the member.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply with respect to an element of compensation or other pay or allowance of a member during an assignment described in such paragraph to the extent that the element of compensation or other pay or allowance is reduced or terminated due to circumstances unrelated to the assignment.
(3) The elements of compensation referred to in this subsection mean—
(A) the monthly basic pay authorized members of the uniformed services by section 203(a) of this title;
(B) the basic allowance for subsistence authorized members of the uniformed services by section 402 of this title; and
(C) the basic allowance for housing authorized members of the uniformed services by section 403 of this title.
(e)Presidential Determination of Need for Alternative Pay Adjustment.—
(1) If, because of national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare, the President considers the pay adjustment which would otherwise be required by this section in any year to be inappropriate, the President shall prepare and transmit to Congress before September 1 of the preceding year a plan for such alternative pay adjustments as the President considers appropriate, together with the
(2) In evaluating an economic condition affecting the general welfare under this subsection, the President shall consider pertinent economic measures including the Indexes of Leading Economic Indicators, the Gross Domestic Product, the unemployment rate, the budget deficit, the Consumer Price Index, the Producer Price Index, the Employment Cost Index, and the Implicit Price Deflator for Personal Consumption Expenditures.
(3) The President shall include in the plan submitted to Congress under paragraph (1) an assessment of the impact that the alternative pay adjustments proposed in the plan would have on the Government’s ability to recruit and retain well-qualified persons for the uniformed services.
(Added Pub. L. 93–419, § 4, Sept. 19, 1974, 88 Stat. 1152; amended Pub. L. 94–361, title III, § 303, July 14, 1976, 90 Stat. 925; Pub. L. 96–342, title VIII, § 803, Sept. 8, 1980, 94 Stat. 1091; Pub. L. 96–513, title V, § 516(24), Dec. 12, 1980, 94 Stat. 2939; Pub. L. 102–25, title VII, § 702(b)(1), (2), (c), Apr. 6, 1991, 105 Stat. 117; Pub. L. 104–106, div. A, title VI, § 642(c), Feb. 10, 1996, 110 Stat. 368; Pub. L. 105–85, div. A, title VI, §§ 604(a)(1), 605, Nov. 18, 1997, 111 Stat. 1783, 1784; Pub. L. 106–65, div. A, title VI, § 602(a), Oct. 5, 1999, 113 Stat. 649; Pub. L. 108–136, div. A, title VI, § 602, Nov. 24, 2003, 117 Stat. 1498.)