§ 4604. Certification (a) Acceptance of State agency certification
Notwithstanding sections 4630 and 4655 of this title, the head of a Federal agency may discharge any of his responsibilities under this chapter by accepting a certification by a State agency that it will carry out such responsibility, if the head of the lead agency determines that such responsibility will be carried out in accordance with State laws which will accomplish the purpose and effect of this chapter.
(b) Promulgation of regulations; notice and comment; consultation with local governments
(1) The head of the lead agency shall issue regulations to carry out this section.
(2) Repealed. Pub. L. 104–66, title I, § 1121(f), Dec. 21, 1995, 109 Stat. 724.
(3) Before making a determination regarding any State law under subsection (a) of this section, the head of the lead agency shall provide interested parties with an opportunity for public review and comment. In particular, the head of the lead agency shall consult with interested local general purpose governments within the State on the effects of such State law on the ability of local governments to carry out their responsibilities under this chapter.
(c) Effect of noncompliance with certification or with applicable law
(1) The head of a Federal agency may withhold his approval of any Federal financial assistance to or contract or cooperative agreement with any displacing agency found by the Federal agency to have failed to comply with the laws described in subsection (a) of this section.
(2) After consultation with the head of the lead agency, the head of a Federal agency may rescind his acceptance of any certification under this section, in whole or in part, if the State agency fails to comply with such certification or with State law.
(Pub. L. 91–646, title I, § 103, as added Pub. L. 100–17, title IV, § 403, Apr. 2, 1987, 101 Stat. 248; amended Pub. L. 104–66, title I, § 1121(f), Dec. 21, 1995, 109 Stat. 724.)