§ 17.617 - Agreement and obligated service.
(a) Agreement. Each eligible veteran who accepts funds from the VHVMASP will enter into an agreement with VA where the eligible veteran agrees to the following:
(1) Maintain enrollment, attendance, and acceptable level of academic standing as defined by the covered medical school;
(2) Complete post-graduate training leading to eligibility for board certification in a physician specialty applicable to VA;
(3) After completion of medical school and post-graduate training, obtain and maintain a license to practice medicine in a State. Eligible veterans must ensure that State licenses are obtained in a minimal amount of time following completion of residency, or fellowship, if the veteran is enrolled in a fellowship program approved by VA. If a participant fails to obtain his or her degree, or fails to become licensed in a State no later than 90 days after completion of residency, or fellowship, if applicable, the participant is considered to be in breach of the acceptance agreement; and
(4) Serve as a full-time clinical practice employee in VA for a period of four years.
(b) Obligated service - (1) General. An eligible veteran's obligated service will begin on the date on which the eligible veteran begins full-time permanent employment with VA as a clinical practice employee. VA will appoint the participant to such position as soon as possible, but no later than 90 days after the date that the participant completes residency, or fellowship, if applicable, or the date the participant becomes licensed in a State, whichever is later.
(2) Location and position of obligated service. VA reserves the right to make final decisions on the location and position of the obligated service.
(The Office of Management and Budget has approved the information collection requirements in this section under control number 2900-0793.)