§ 60.482-3 - Standards: Compressors.
(a) Each compressor shall be equipped with a seal system that includes a barrier fluid system and that prevents leakage of VOC to the atmosphere, except as provided in § 60.482-1(c) and paragraphs (h), (i), and (j) of this section.
(b) Each compressor seal system as required in paragraph (a) shall be:
(1) Operated with the barrier fluid at a pressure that is greater than the compressor stuffing box pressure; or
(2) Equipped with a barrier fluid system degassing reservoir that is routed to a process or fuel gas system or connected by a closed vent system to a control device that complies with the requirements of § 60.482-10; or
(3) Equipped with a system that purges the barrier fluid into a process stream with zero VOC emissions to the atmosphere.
(c) The barrier fluid system shall be in heavy liquid service or shall not be in VOC service.
(d) Each barrier fluid system as described in paragraph (a) shall be equipped with a sensor that will detect failure of the seal system, barrier fluid system, or both.
(e)(1) Each sensor as required in paragraph (d) shall be checked daily or shall be equipped with an audible alarm.
(2) The owner or operator shall determine, based on design considerations and operating experience, a criterion that indicates failure of the seal system, the barrier fluid system, or both.
(f) If the sensor indicates failure of the seal system, the barrier system, or both based on the criterion determined under paragraph (e)(2), a leak is detected.
(g)(1) When a leak is detected, it shall be repaired as soon as practicable, but not later than 15 calendar days after it is detected, except as provided in § 60.482-9.
(2) A first attempt at repair shall be made no later than 5 calendar days after each leak is detected.
(h) A compressor is exempt from the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section, if it is equipped with a closed vent system to capture and transport leakage from the compressor drive shaft back to a process or fuel gas system or to a control device that complies with the requirements of § 60.482-10, except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section.
(i) Any compressor that is designated, as described in § 60.486(e) (1) and (2), for no detectable emissions, as indicated by an instrument reading of less than 500 ppm above background, is exempt from the requirements of paragraphs (a)-(h) if the compressor:
(1) Is demonstrated to be operating with no detectable emissions, as indicated by an instrument reading of less than 500 ppm above background, as measured by the methods specified in § 60.485(c); and
(2) Is tested for compliance with paragraph (i)(1) of this section initially upon designation, annually, and at other times requested by the Administrator.
(j) Any existing reciprocating compressor in a process unit which becomes an affected facility under provisions of § 60.14 or § 60.15 is exempt from paragraphs (a) through (e) and (h) of this section, provided the owner or operator demonstrates that recasting the distance piece or replacing the compressor are the only options available to bring the compressor into compliance with the provisions of paragraphs (a) through (e) and (h) of this section.