§ 77.2 - Definitions.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in this part, the definitions set forth in § 59.1 of this subchapter are applicable to this part.
(b) Applicant means the entity, such as a State or Indian Tribal government, applying to FEMA for a Federal award under the FMA program. Once funds have been awarded, the applicant becomes the recipient and may also be a pass-through entity.
(c) Closeout means the process by which FEMA or the pass-through entity determines that all applicable administrative actions and all required work of the Federal award have been completed and takes actions as described in 2 CFR 200.344, “Closeout.”
(d) Community means:
(1) A political subdivision, including any Indian Tribe, authorized Tribal organization, Alaska Native village or authorized native organization, that has zoning and building code jurisdiction over a particular area having special flood hazards, and is participating in the NFIP; or
(2) A political subdivision of a State or other authority that is designated by political subdivisions, all of which meet the requirements of paragraph (d)(1) of this section, to administer grants for mitigation activities for such political subdivisions.
(e) Federal award means the Federal financial assistance a recipient or subrecipient receives directly from FEMA or indirectly from a pass-through entity. The terms “award” and “grant” may also be used to describe a Federal award under this part.
(f) Indian Tribal government means any Federally recognized governing body of an Indian or Alaska Native Tribe, band, nation, pueblo, village, or community that the Secretary of Interior acknowledges to exist as an Indian Tribe under the Federally Recognized Indian Tribe List Act of 1994, 25 U.S.C. 5131. This does not include Alaska Native corporations, the ownership of which is vested in private individuals.
(g) Pass-through entity means a recipient that provides a subaward to a subrecipient to carry out part of the FMA program.
(h) Recipient means the State or Indian Tribal government that receives a Federal award directly from FEMA. A recipient may also be a pass-through entity. The term recipient does not include subrecipients.
(i) Repetitive loss structure means a structure covered under an NFIP flood insurance policy that:
(1) Has incurred flood-related damage on 2 occasions, in which the cost of repair, on average, equaled or exceeded 25% of the value of the structure at the time of each such flood event; and
(2) At the time of the second incidence of flood related damage, the contract for flood insurance contains increased cost of compliance coverage.
(j) Severe repetitive loss structure means a structure that is covered under an NFIP flood insurance policy and has incurred flood-related damage:
(1) For which 4 or more separate claims payments have been made under flood insurance coverage under subchapter B of this chapter, with the amount of each claim (including building and contents payments) exceeding $5,000, and with the cumulative amount of such claims payments exceeding $20,000; or
(2) For which at least 2 separate flood insurance claims payments (building payments only) have been made, with cumulative amount of such claims exceeding the value of the insured structure.
(k) State means any state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
(l) Subaward means an award provided by a pass-through entity to a subrecipient, for the subrecipient to carry out part of a Federal award received by the pass-through entity. It does not include payments to a contractor or payments to an individual that is a beneficiary of a Federal program. A subaward may be provided through any form of legal agreement, including an agreement that the pass-through entity considers a contract.
(m) Subapplicant means a State agency, community, or Indian Tribal government submitting a subapplication to the applicant for assistance under the FMA program. Upon grant award, the subapplicant is referred to as the subrecipient.
(n) Subrecipient means the State agency, community, or Indian Tribal government that receives a subaward from a pass-through entity for the subrecipient to carry out an activity under the FMA program.
(o) Administrator means the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or his/her designated representative.
(p) Regional Administrator means the head of a Federal Emergency Management Agency regional office, or his/her designated representative.