§ 12.625 - Requirements to qualify for an STCW endorsement as vessel personnel with designated security duties.
(a) An applicant for an STCW endorsement as vessel personnel with designated security duties must -
(1) Present satisfactory documentary evidence, such as a certificate or letter signed by a company official, or a certificate of completion from a Coast Guard-accepted or Coast Guard-approved course, of meeting the requirements in 33 CFR 104.220;
(2) Meet the physical examination requirements in 46 CFR Part 10, subpart C; and
(3) Meet the safety and suitability requirements and the National Driver Registry review requirements in § 10.209(e) of this subchapter, unless the applicant has met these requirements within the previous 5 years in connection with another endorsement.
(b) Until March 24, 2014, seafarers will be able to apply for an endorsement as vessel personnel with designated security duties by -
(1) Having completed approved seagoing service with designated security duties, for a period of at least 6 months in total during the preceding 3 years;
(2) Having performed security functions considered to be equivalent to the seagoing service required in paragraph (b)(1) of this section; or
(3) Successfully completing Coast Guard-accepted or Coast Guard-approved training.