§ 2.45-25 - Application for approval.
(a) An application for approval must be made in writing and in the English language to Commandant (CG-ENG), Attn: Office of Design and Engineering Systems, U.S. Coast Guard Stop 7509, 2703 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20593-7509.
(b) The application must -
(1) Indicate the type of work the classification society intends to perform on vessels in the United States;
(2) Include documentation demonstrating that the classification society complies with § 2.45-15;
(3) Contain a list of the vessels surveyed by the classification society over the previous 3 calendar years. The list must include vessel names, flags, and IMO numbers, as well as initial vessel inspections and detentions; and
(4) Provide a summary of the safety records of vessels the classification society surveys for each of the previous 3 calendar years, including initial vessel inspections and detentions for all data contained in regional port state control Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) and other port state control data sources, including the U.S. Coast Guard.
(c) An application submitted in accordance with 46 CFR part 8, subpart B satisfies the application requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, provided the applicant:
(1) Has been notified in writing by the Commandant that it met the criteria to be a recognized classification society, and its recognized status has not been revoked, under 46 CFR part 8, subpart B;
(2) Submits in writing and in the English language to the address in paragraph (a) of this section a statement that the applicant is applying for approval under this subpart; and
(3) Certifies in the submission under paragraph (c)(2) of this section that the information in the application submitted under 46 CFR part 8, subpart B remains valid.