§ 238p. Recommendations and guidelines regarding automated external defibrillators for Federal buildings (a) Guidelines on placement
The Secretary shall establish guidelines with respect to placing automated external defibrillator devices in Federal buildings. Such guidelines shall take into account the extent to which such devices may be used by lay persons, the typical number of employees and visitors in the buildings, the extent of the need for security measures regarding the buildings, buildings or portions of buildings in which there are special circumstances such as high electrical voltage or extreme heat or cold, and such other factors as the Secretary determines to be appropriate.
(b) Related recommendations
The Secretary shall publish in the Federal Register the recommendations of the Secretary on the appropriate implementation of the placement of automated external defibrillator devices under subsection (a), including procedures for the following:
(1) Implementing appropriate training courses in the use of such devices, including the role of cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
(2) Proper maintenance and testing of the devices.
(3) Ensuring coordination with appropriate licensed professionals in the oversight of training of the devices.
(4) Ensuring coordination with local emergency medical systems regarding the placement and incidents of use of the devices.
(c) Consultations; consideration of certain recommendations
In carrying out this section, the Secretary shall—
(1) consult with appropriate public and private entities;
(2) consider the recommendations of national and local public-health organizations for improving the survival rates of individuals who experience cardiac arrest in nonhospital settings by minimizing the time elapsing between the onset of cardiac arrest and the initial medical response, including defibrillation as necessary; and
(3) consult with and counsel other Federal agencies where such devices are to be used.
(d) Date certain for establishing guidelines and recommendations
The Secretary shall comply with this section not later than 180 days after November 13, 2000.
For purposes of this section:
(1) The term “automated external defibrillator device” has the meaning given such term in section 238q of this title.
(2) The term “Federal building” includes a building or portion of a building leased or rented by a Federal agency, and includes buildings on military installations of the United States.
(July 1, 1944, ch. 373, title II, § 247, as added Pub. L. 106–505, title IV, § 403, Nov. 13, 2000, 114 Stat. 2337.)